A marriage should go beyond simply being in love. It is important to not only love the person you are with, but to love the relationship itself. Here are some tips to help maintain a healthy relationship with your spouse.
- Do not hold back feelings that are profound, but also pick your battles. It important to express your feelings when you need to. However, some things are okay to let slide. Sometimes less significant disagreements and irritations are okay to set aside.
“Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, and half shut afterwards” – Benjamin Franklin
- Always listen, and always talk. Do both with respect.
- When you need to forgive, truly forgive. Don’t hold onto ammunition for future use.
- Laugh together. Be silly. Practice joyful moments. Do your best to maintain your sense of humor even when things are challenging.
- Nurture friendship as well as romance. Your spouse is your life-long companion. Confiding in them will help build connections.
“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Trust and be trustworthy. Avoid situations that might break down trust, even through misunderstanding.
- Give as much as you take. Keep your expectations realistic, and be the spouse that you want to have.